Monday, December 5, 2011

Weekend Projects...

Now that they 31 day challenge is over I finally had time to start working on some projects which I have been putting off for some time. One of them is so simple that I actually feel silly for putting it off for so long. I have read a few rave reviews from people that prefer to remove nail polish using felt rather than cotton balls so I wanted to try as well. I followed the easy tutorial by Carla from Deuce Beauties that you can find here.

All you need is a sheet of felt and a pair of scissors. You can purchase felt sheets at any craft store. The ones I got were from Michaels and measured about 10 x 12 inches.


Simply fold the sheet in half and cut it along the fold line. Then fold that in half and cut again. Repeat this ad nauseam until you will end up with 64 small felt rectangles measuring about 1.25 x 1.5 inches.


This is what 4 sheets look like all cut up...


I have only tried using them a few times, so I cannot give a full review yet. The ultimate test will be removing glitter which I will try soon. Some of the pros I've noticed already is that they require less rubbing than with cotton and the felt does not leave as many fibers on the nails, although it does leave some. Also, it requires much less nail polish remover because it does not absorb it the same way that cotton does. However, even though I loved the fact that it does not soak up the remover, I did not like the fact that it also does not soak up the dissolved nail polish either. This leaves the nail polish loose (if that makes sense) on the felt surface and it smudges all over the next finger and the fingers holding it. I had to keep folding the felt to get to a "clean" side. However, I feel that this is something I can overlook because of all the pros that I listed so far and because this con is easily remedied with an extra piece to do a final clean sweep over the nails and finger tips at the end. :)

My next project that I started this weekend is a lengthier one and involves swatching my nail polish collection onto swatch sticks. My goal is to be able to sort swatch sticks by color so that I can store the polishes by brand. I made 180 swatch sticks this weekend that are now all ready for painting... only 7 of them fully swatched so far :D



Do you have a method for swatching your collection? Does it involve nail wheels, premade swatch stick or home made swatch sticks? What is your favorite? :)

Have you tried felt for removing polish before? I'd love to know what you think!

Thanks for looking!
Anutka :)

9 comments:

  1. excellent idea! thanks for sharing will try it soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of the swatches on stick. I might do that too! Thanks for the idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great projects! I'm inspired by your swatching project! I ordered some swatch sticks from eBay, but the plastic bubbled with polish so they were junk. I previously used nail wheels, but they're such a pain because if you swap a few polishes on the wheel, you're still left with everything else. Swatch sticks seem so versatile, and make it much easier to compare polishes to one another. I plan to someday do the popsicle stick swatches as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting about the felt squares. I had heard of it before but didn't know if it was really any better. Sometimes I'm still pulling cotton ball bits off my 'tips hours after removal, so I may try this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never tried the felt, but I hate getting polish over other fingers so I may not try it. I haven't even got my collection organised, all my polishes are in 5 seperate tubs all smushed together. Swatching them all sounds like a great idea though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's such a cool idea! never thought felt would work so well. Thanks for sharing ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've using felt for a while now and I like it much more than cotton, it's faster and works better for me!
    I use nails wheels to swatch my polishes, but I like your swatch sticks and how you can write the brand and name on it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for all the comments.
    I made my swatch sticks using nail wheels and coffee sticks. I like them more than popsickle sticks so far. I'll post my step by step guide sometime soon :)

    As for the felt pieces. I'm getting used to them. I think they only smudge certain colors, so not as bad as I thought at first. Also worked pretty well for glitter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a bunch of premade swatch sticks I got off Amazon, and currently have them by brand (should do them by color, much less annoying).

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and reading what you have to say! So don't be shy... comment! :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...