Friday, December 9, 2011

Ulta - Glitterati Mini Set

Glitterati is the second of the two mini lacquer sets from Ulta. You can see swatches of the first one from yesterday here. This set should have been called Dupe Town because every polish looks like a Deborah Lippmann dupe. Now I don't own any of the originals to truly compare them, but I have seen many swatches and have dupes for two of them that I will compare. We'll see if these are true dupes of the dupes :D

Left to right (index to pinkie finger): Hide and Go Sequins, Fashionably Late, Black Tie Affair, Glamoflauge



Hide and Go Sequins: A deep blue jelly base with small blue glitter and large blue and green hex glitter. This is three coats plus a top coat. From swatches I've seen it looks like a dupe for Deborah Lippman’s Across The Universe. I don't plan on getting the original since I hear that Essence Blue Addicted is a dupe for it as well. When/if I get the Essence polish I will compare this dupe to the other dupe. :)


Fashionably Late: A black jelly base with small square and large hex glitter. Application was decent. I'm not the biggest fan of working with glitter though. This one is a Deborah Lippmann Ruby Red Slippers wannabe. I do have Wet 'n Wild Behind Closed doors which is also a Lippmann dupe so I will compare this one to the WnW. This is three coats plus a top coat.


Black Tie Affair: This was my favorite of the set. Application was perfect. This is two coats plus a top coat. It is a gray base with micro silver and larger hex glitter. The hex glitter in this is smaller than the other polishes. I think this was meant to be a Deborah Lippmann’s Today Was A Fairytale dupe, but even from swatches I can see the hex glitter is smaller and the whole polish is darker than the Lippmann. Or maybe it is a dupe for something else? Anyone know?


Glamoflauge: A black jelly with small dot and large hex purple glitter. This is two coats plus a top coat. A Deborah Lippmann's Bad Romance wannabe. I will compare this to Revlon's Facets of Fuchisa which is claimed to be a true Lippmann dupe.


Below are some comparisons to the two Lippmann dupes that I do own. I already mentioned that I don't own Essence Blue Addicted to compare Ulta's Hide and Go Sequins to. Also, I'm not sure if there are any other dupes for Lippmann's Today Was A Fairytale.

Left to Right: Wet 'n Wild Behind Closed Doors, Ulta Fashionably Late, Revlon Facets of Fuchsia, Ulta Glamoflauge

Index to pinkie finger: Wet 'n Wild Behind Closed Doors, Ulta Fashionably Late, Revlon Facets of Fuchsia, Ulta Glamoflauge

Wet 'n Wild Behind Closed Doors vs. Ulta Fashionably Late: Three coats + a top coat for each.
WnW was much much thinner and harder to apply. I found it to be more frustrating than the Ulta version. Both took three coats to build up to full opacity. The hex glitter in the Ulta polish seem to have a bit of a curl to them where the WnW one does not. Also the small glitter in the Ulta polish appears to be square vs the WnW it is round and a bit finer. Otherwise glitter density is about the same. I would say it is a good dupe of the dupe, but not exact for sure. I will let you judge how it compares to the original.

Revlon Facets of Fuchsia vs. Ulta Glamoflauge: Two coats + a top coat for each.
I can see a definite difference between the two. The Ulta polish has a darker base and less glitter. Enough said I think. Not a true dupe. Maybe if Ulta crammed more glitter into their polish it would be a closer match.

The other difference I noticed between the polishes was when I was removing them, the Ulta hex glitters in all the polishes turned silver. It was as though it was silver glitter painted red, purple, blue, etc and the acetone just stripped all the color off leaving them silver. The glitter in the WnW and Revlon polishes stayed red and purple even after removing them. I guess it is not a big deal as long as it doesn't lose the color on the nail, but was still a bit of a surprise to me.

Here is what the set looks like... I got this one for around $2 as after Thankgsiving since it was on sale for $2.99 and I added a coupon for $3.50 off $10 purchase.


What do you think? Are these worth getting or not?

Thanks for looking!
Anutka :)

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting the swatches to these! I saw these the other day. I have DL Across the Universe along with Behind Closed Doors and Facets of Fuchsia. Black Tie Affair looks very much like Nina Ultra Pro's Glamrock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got all the pretty ones! :)
    Just looked up swatches of Glamrock and it does look a lot like it. I might have to go get one. That was my favorite of the set :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was interesting what you noticed about the glitter color when removing the polish. I find myself looking at the cotton balls after I remove polish. Those ulta polishes look like a really good deal and the small bottle size is just right for unusual glitters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, they were a good deal. I think they are now on sale for $5.99. I agree, it is nice to have the unusual glitters in just a small bottle. I know I'll never use a full one :)
    Have you had color come off from the glitter before?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Я думала, слава Деборы не дает покоя только Эссенс. А тут вон оно как )) спасибо за открытие горизонтов, никогда не слышала о такой фирме.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool! I think these are worth getting if your don't own any of the dupes, which I do so I will be passing. Still very lovely though, and they all look great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh the whole set looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Black Tie Affair looks a bit like Tinsel Town from China Glazes Let it Snow collection. But i dont think its a dupe. All the swatches you did look great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow I want this collection so bad! Hide and go Sequins is amazing. NEED!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These collections look amazing! I want all the polishes :D I'm in love with Black Tie Affair btw <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am not a glitter fan so I won't be buying these. But I love your saying they should name these Duoe Town! Very funny!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Antallex, Debby pokoya pomoimu ne kto ne dayet. Ne Wet 'n Wild, ne Revlon, it dazhe ne Ulta :)

    @Jacqui, I'm not usually a glitter fan, but thought it would work well for accents :)

    @Jane, thank you! I'm glad you like it :)

    @All Things Shiny, I will have to check that one out too! Thank you :)

    @Duhnay23, Yes it is beautiful and as far as I can tell a pretty good dupe :)

    @Elsa P. Me too!! It is my favorite! :D

    @Fingers, I couldn't resist :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got this exact set too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is a fun set if you want Lippmann dupes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That ULTA BLUE is divine!!!! Drooooooool :D
    Looks incredible on you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Marta. The blue one really is so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. do you know where i can purchase this online? is it an older set? i can't seem to find it online or in stores?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jennifer, I have not seen them online (ulta.com). I got mine at Ulta right after Thanksgiving. I know they had them after that too. Are you in the US? Hopefully you have store near your. I think they should still be available.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think you have the names of these wrong... the packaging says they are named from left to right. I think they mean from the front view of the package. The blue one with green glitter makes more sense to be called "glamoflauge" because it's closer to army "camouflage" colors. Anyway, love these. Snagged them on eBay as they were sold out at my Ulta :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think I have them named correctly for a couple of reasons.
    1. Black tie affair I think matches to the black one best
    2. Their sister set "Paint the Town"
    (http://wackylaki.blogspot.com/2011/12/ulta-paint-town-mini-set.html)
    has Lav-ish which is an existing color in their main collection. It was the 1st one in the package from the front, but the last one on the naming. So it only matched when looking at the order from the back.
    3. The one right next to Lavish, 3rd on the list of names but 2nd in the bottle order is Nauti-cal but Nice and it is the only blue. None of the other ones would make sense with that name.

    It is for these reasons that I think they are named left to right when you are looking at the back of the package.

    Please tell me if think I'm wrong. I will try to contact Ulta in that case. I was confused for a while while trying to figure their names out :D

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and reading what you have to say! So don't be shy... comment! :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...