Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Ulta Princess

On my latest trip to Ulta I decided to give the store brand a try. I was drawn to the dark and creamy colors, but instead I convinced myself to get something light and spring-like. Among a few others, I got the Ulta (Salon Formula) polish named Princess. Princess is a very sheer, pearly coral color. I expected it to be more opaque, but maybe that was just wishful thinking. This is three coats plus a top coat, the nail line clearly visible.



Outside, overcast:


Compare the next two photos and you can see how depending on the slight light change it goes from pearly/shiny to very transparent. An aspect of pearly colors I really dislike :(



I decided I would try layering it since I was not to keen on how it looked by itself. Sinful Colors Soul Mate was still fresh on my mind from yesterday's post and happened to be a similar coral color. I decided that just maybe they were Soul Mates :D


This is one layer Sinful Colors Soul Mate and two layers Ulta Princess.



Actually caught some sun this time around!



Not too bad, I like the layering of these two. You get the opaqueness and shimmer, but I thought that unless it is out under direct sunlight, most of the time Sinful Colors just stole the show. So that led me to some thinking, which led to a franken, which lead to a kind of fail...

I thought that by mixing the two colors, I could adjust the proportions and get the best of both worlds in one polish. WRONG! I mixed 1/4 SC Soul Mate with 3/4 Ulta Princess and got... wait for it... Soul Mate with the teeniest, tiniest shimmer. That's right, even with 3/4 of the bottle being Ulta Princess (what a waste), Soul Mate just overtook the whole show.

See the shimmer? I didn't think so :D


OK, so it redeemed itself a little bit outside, but still kind of meh, not what I expected. I still like the color, but maybe if I had not seen the two colors separately, I would have liked this one more...



 What do you think? Is it better alone, layered, mixed, or maybe not at all?

Brand: Ulta
Collection: Salon Formula
Color Name/Number: Princess

Toulene, Formaldehyde and Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP) free

And here is some Wacky Laki math for you:
3/4 + 1/4 =

Thanks for looking as always :D
Anutka

2 comments:

  1. I think the end result is pretty although not at all like the Ulta polish. You were smart to franken in a mini bottle too - so you still have all polishes intact. It's beautiful layered too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'm glad you like it.
    I think I would like the end result more if I wasn't expecting it to be something else ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and reading what you have to say! So don't be shy... comment! :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...