Wednesday, September 12, 2012

e.l.f. Summer Ready Collection

There is still officially 10 days of summer left and I'm determined to swatch and show you at least some of my untried summer collections. I have accumulated more of them that I wish to admit and not swatching them year after year is just a shame. To start out is the e.l.f. Summer Ready collection which is from summer of last year. It contains five lovey jellies...



e.l.f. Blue Mist
A pretty aqua blue jelly. The formula is very sheer and the first few coats are pretty streaky. It took four coats (more than I normally prefer) to get it to the opaqueness seen below. The nail line is still visible. Lovely color, but not something I would wear on it's own. It would, however, be perfect for glitter sandwiches! I cannot wait to try it for just such a purpose...




Swatch Details
Brand: e.l.f.
Collection: Summer Ready, Summer 2011
Color Name/Number: Blue Mist
Number of coats: 4
Top Coat: No

Free of Formaldehyde, Toluene, Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP)

e.l.f. Lilac
A soft lilac jelly. Again this is very sheer and something I would save for glitter jelly sandwiches rather than wearing it alone. Nail line is still visible after three coats as seen here. The formula is better and less streaky than Blue Mist. Such a lovely color...





Swatch Details
Brand: e.l.f.
Collection: Summer Ready, Summer 2011
Color Name/Number: Lilac
Number of coats: 3
Top Coat: No

Free of Formaldehyde, Toluene, Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP)

e.l.f. Mango Madness
A coral orange sheer jelly. This took three coats to get it semi-opaque with the nail line still visible. This is a fun color that I have already used in some nail art. I'm sure it will make an appearance again in layering experiments. Formula is pretty nice, not streaky...




Swatch Details
Brand: e.l.f.
Collection: Summer Ready, Summer 2011
Color Name/Number: Mango Madness
Number of coats: 3
Top Coat: No

Free of Formaldehyde, Toluene, Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP)

e.l.f. Fuchsia
A dusky raspberry jelly. The color is slightly richer and deeper than what appears in the photos. It is sheer as the rest of the collection. Three coats is shown below. No problems with the formula, applies smoothly...




Swatch Details
Brand: e.l.f.
Collection: Summer Ready, Summer 2011
Color Name/Number: Fuchsia
Number of coats: 3
Top Coat: No

Free of Formaldehyde, Toluene, Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP)

e.l.f. Purple Pleaser
A plum purple jelly. This is a bit more opaque than the rest of the collection I think simply because it is darker. Three coats for the coverage seen below. Nail line still visible in real life. I do love a nice purple polish so I cannot wait to try this one in layered combos as well...




Swatch Details
Brand: e.l.f.
Collection: Summer Ready, Summer 2011
Color Name/Number: Purple Pleaser
Number of coats: 3
Top Coat: No

Free of Formaldehyde, Toluene, Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP)

Overall I'm torn on this collection. The colors are very soft and pretty. They will be perfect for glitter sandwich combos and I cannot wait to try them as such. The downside of the collection is that these jellies have an impossibly long dry time. Even with a quick dry top coat, they were dentable after hours of wear. I tried a few of them solo for a day and each time the manicure was ruined by the time I came home from work. Another issue, although easily fixable, was the hairy brushes. Most of them had uneven bristles that needed to be trimmed prior to use...


Do you have colors you are torn on... Love the color, but hate the formula/brush??

Thanks for looking!
Anutka :)

7 comments:

  1. I love them all, but I have a problem with Elf polishes, they chip very fast on me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am too lazy for 3 coats... are there any that are goodlooking with just one? or maybe two coats?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ruxi, I swatched/wore them right before work and they never did dry completely for me, so I took them off as soon as i got home... they didn't even have a chance to chip :)

    @LiisK, personally I wouldn't wear these at 1 coat. They are very sheer jelly polishes. If you don't mind a visible nail line then there is no reason any of them can't be worn at one or two coats. Purple Pleaser will be the most opaque at just one or two coats, but not complete coverage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. upon seeing this post. . . . I went a just a little hog wild on the Elf website :-) I landed three of these lovely polishes (and a bunch more!) Thank you so much for sharing! sooooo pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blue Mist is heavenly on you! WOW

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Coleen, I'm so glad you like them! I know how those little shopping sprees go. They will be beautiful. Enjoy :)

    @Marta, thank you so much! Love the color, hate that it takes 4 coats to get there :(

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and reading what you have to say! So don't be shy... comment! :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...