Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Tutorial: Removing Glitter Nail Polish...

Glitter nail polish is fun, but taking it off is a pain in the butt! It usually involves quite a struggle and makes me hesitate wearing glitter in the first place. I saw this incredibly easy technique demonstrated on youtube and decided to give it a try. I was shocked at how well this worked. The glitter came off with no struggle at all!

Here is a tutorial on what I did... don't forget you can click on any of the images to zoom in...

Supplies:

1. 100% Pure Acetone (Note: other nail polish removers may work just as well, but I have not tried any for this)
2. Cotton - I used lint free cotton squares I got on Ebay, but cosmetic cotton rounds will work perfectly for this (cut them in half or quarters for a better fit)
3. Foil - cut up into small strips (approx 1.5 by 2 inch - don't have to be exact here...)
Starting Out:

I started out with Cosmetic Arts Fairy Dust glitter polish that I have been wearing all weekend and dreading taking off...
Step 1:

Wet the cotton with acetone and apply to the nail (I folded the cotton squares for a better fit)
Step 2:

Wrap a strip of foil around the fingertip to hold the acetone soaked cotton in place

Repeat steps 1 and 2 with the rest of the fingers on one hand - don't try to do both hands at the same time as you still need the other hand functional for steps 3 and 4 :D

WAIT 3-5 Minutes before going on to Step 3...

Step 3:

Apply gentle pressure to the nail and begin to twist the cotton/foil side to side (don't need too much, a few twists should be enough)
Step 4:

As you twist, move the the cotton/foil off your finger
All Done!

Ta Da! Glitter is gone without the need for endless rubbing! :D

Repeat Steps 1-4 with the other hand and you'll really be all done!

Lastly, wash your hands to clean the acetone off and apply a moisturizing cream or lotion to avoid acetone dried/fried cuticles...

I'd love to know what you think! Did you like the tutorial? Interested in seeing more? Have you tried this method before? :D

Thanks for looking!
Anutka :)

8 comments:

  1. this is sucha good post!
    i always sit there for ages trying to rub it off so i will definately have to give this ago next time i wear glittery nail vanish :)
    thanks for the tip :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this method! I usually use cotton balls but fuzzies get everywhere. I may try the squares.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i use this method with my glitter too. i love it! i havnt tried foil . but i use these lil bubber things we have at work. and it works well. now theirs no reason for us girls to rock those glitter manis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @aimeee, let me know how it works for your! I loved it :)

    @Jill, do try with squares or cosmetic rounds... I get frustrated with the fuzz too!

    @McDiaz, I agree! No fear of glitter now :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't normally leave comments on stranger's posts but I just had to for this!! This is amazing! I had no idea you could do this, thank you so much for sharing!! :D super happy I can finally build up my glitter collection now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you found this useful!!
    Hope you enjoy all your new glitter polishes :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. My sister-in-law (who works at a hair salon that has a nail station too) recommened something similar for taking off a gel manicure I got for their wedding. I didn't know what I was doing at the time, but it still kinda worked. This looks MUCH easier than my attempt, which I can't remember besides it being a mess!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Bella, this is a great way to remove stubborn polish. Much less frustration than trying to scrub. It is good to hear that salons recommend DIY ways to remove those at home rather than having people come in and pay :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and reading what you have to say! So don't be shy... comment! :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...