Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Polish Days: MAN-icure

You may have already heard the term Movember combining the words men and November. It is a wonderful month long event to raise awareness for men's health such as prostate and testicular cancer. According to Wikipedia, Movember started when a group of young men decided to raise awareness by growing moustaches during the month of November. Moustaches have since become the symbol of Movember.

It is only fitting then, that this month's theme for Polish Days is a MAN-icure to honor the event or the special men in our lives. I toyed with the idea of just doing the iconic moustache, but ended up with something a bit different and personal for me...


When my parents first met they lived in cities which were hours apart so they didn't get to see each other very often. On one date my mom mentioned that she liked men with facial hair and to her complete surprise the next time they got together he showed up sporting a moustache and goatee. The goatee eventually turned into a full beard which he has had as long as I can remember. In fact there is only one time that I can remember him shaving it all off and it was quite traumatic for me. I was about six or seven and came home to find my dad looking like a complete stranger with no facial hair. I broke down in inconsolable tears. It is still a big joke in the family, he is not allowed to shave it off. Hence why my manicure says I love men with beards and moustaches... Here is to their health!


For the manicure, I started out with a base of Zoya Kristen then stamped and added a few details...
Index finger: Stamped with Shany plate SH16 using Wet 'n Wild Black Creme and KleanColor Metallic Fuchsia. Accented with a peridot colored rhinestone.
Middle & Pinkie fingers: Stamped with Cheeky plate CH16 using KleanColor Metallic Fuchsia and accented with a fuchsia heart rhinestone.
Ring Finger: Stamped with Shany plate SH03 using Wet 'n Wild Black Creme. Using acrylic paint (black and white) I added hair, ears, and beard shading...


As a side note, I've noticed that the KleanColor metallics stain the silicone of my XL stamper, so be warned if you choose to get them for stamping. They seem to do find with other stampers...


While waiting for the polish to dry to stamp, I figured snapping a few new swatch photos couldn't hurt. Zoya Kristen is a soft shade of gray with a blue tint. The formula on this is creamy and very nice, full coverage in just two coats. On the nail it is slightly brighter and the blue is more prominent than in the bottle. Swatches are with no top coat...




Swatch Details
Brand: Zoya
Collection:
Color Name/Number: Kristen, ZP591
Number of coats: 2
Top Coat: No

Free of Formaldehyde, Toluene, Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP), Camphor

I would love know what you think of this manicure!

Thanks for looking!
Anutka :)

14 comments:

  1. That story about your father shaving his beard was too hilarious. I like how that KleanColor pops against Kristen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely manicure and your nails tells an awesome story. Love it~!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is super cute and your stamping is really clean :) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really great- I love the colors you chose and the drawing of your dad- adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this manicure, it's so cute! It's even better that it's for a good cause.

    Your beard story is really sweet. It's actually the other way round in my family - my dad had a beard when I was little, and when I was about three I demanded he shave it off because when I kissed him it was scratchy! Believe it or not he did shave it off, and he hasn't had one since. XD

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dad had a mustache ever since I was little. One night I came home from college for fall break and he opened the door. It was completely gone! I started crying, saying "Why didn't you tell me you were shaving it??" I completely understand the trauma you experienced. ;) I was in college and it still had the same effect! This is an adorable mani, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've chosen a lovely colour for the base, and the final look is very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful - and hilarious too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! Love the story too! My guy has always had a moustache and goatee. Every once in a while he will shave one or the other off...scratch that, I don't think he's ever had just a moustache. But he will shave ether his moustache, or both, and I always secretly like it....its kinda like I'm with another guy and I'm cheating on him....with himself, lol! I think the whole 12 years we have been together he's only ever shaved both off maybe 3....maybe 4 times? He looks like a completely different person!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your childhood episode is so cute!! I must tell this to my hub, as he has goatee now but before not... :P
    I love your mani too, especially how you added the accent with stones <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed your story! :D
    Love your nails, they are so cute and different!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a sweet story, and pretty funny about your childhood!
    The design is really adorable and pretty, with lovely combination of colours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute story and mani! I love the color combination.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You girls are awesome! Thank you for sharing your stories with me. It is funny how much attachment we have to the facial hair (or lack there of) in the men in our lives!

    I'm really attached to my dad's moustache and beard, but with my bf I prefer clean shaven. Go figure :D

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and reading what you have to say! So don't be shy... comment! :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...