Saturday, September 7, 2013

31DC2013 Day 7 - Black and White

As this post goes live, I'm heading on vacation, but have no fear, I worked my little tushy off to keep up with the 31 Day Nail Art Challenge and have scheduled posts to entertain you. The theme for challenge Day 7 is Black & White. I have been wanting to try the water spotted technique for a while now and finally got an excuse to make time...


For this manicure I started out with a base of Sinful Colors Snow Me White. To create the dotted pattern, I put a drop of black nail polish into a cup with water and sprayed with a bit of hairspray. When the pattern had formed on the water, I dipped my nail into it. I then repeated that for each nail. Check out youtube for great tutorials on how to do this...


I tried putting Elmer's Glue around my nails for easy clean up and it completely melted when I dunked the finger into the water. Can we all just say a collective "duh Anutka, the glue is water soluble. What were you thinking?" Ok, so second attempt was with Liquid Palisade around the nails and it worked perfectly. Lesson learned...


This water spotted technique really sounds easy in theory, but came time to reality it was somewhat frustrating. The polish didn't always react as I would have liked. At times it either ended up with either no dots, tiny dots, or most often one large hole as the polish ran away from the hair spray. Then I found that after I had sprayed the water a few times, the polish no longer wanted to spread at all and I had to switch out the water. Quite a lengthy process to say the least, but I would definitely do it again. Love the look of it...


Are you seeing lobster hands here? I don't know what blogger is doing with my images since they are NOT red to begin with. Anyone else have this happening to their images?...



Sinful Colors Snow Me White is a pure white cream. The application is actually quite good for a white polish. I only needed two coats for complete coverage and it wasn't streaky. My brush was quite wonky, but that's a whole other story. These swatches are with no top coat...




Swatch Details
Brand: SinfulColors
Collection: core
Color Name/Number: Snow Me White, 101
Number of coats: 2
Top Coat: No

Free of Formaldehyde, Toluene, Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP)

As always, I'd love to know what you think of this!

P.S. This post is pre-scheduled while I'm on vacation. I may not be able to respond to comments until I return, but I greatly appreciate them and will respond as soon as I return!

Thanks for looking!
Anutka :)

12 comments:

  1. I love it! You just made me want even more to try the technique, because your attempt at it looks so perfect! :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. They turned out perfect! I might try this too some day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! It's on my "to do" list... but I hate cleaning-up.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cannot wait to try this..it looks lots better than the OPI Black Spotted and it's other imitators that were released in Europe mostly or sold on 2nd market at a huge cost mark up over retail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Mari, yes! Do try it! I would LOVE to see what you create :)

    @tina, thank you so much!

    @Soraya, I hope you do give this a try! The result is beautiful :)

    @Raggio di Luna, definitely tape, tape, tape! Or Liquid Palisade as I used worked perfectly too :)

    @rockbeach meme, yes, I couldn't get the black spotted and although this is more complicated than just brushing on polish, it was worth the effort for me :)

    @Natalie, thank you so much! :D

    @Abop Laquerlove, thank you very much!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Camy, I'm so glad you like it! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great technique - I'm always on a look out for new nail art ideas. Thank you

    http://highheelsbrownhair.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and reading what you have to say! So don't be shy... comment! :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...